This grilled chicken club sandwich makes for a filling and delicious lunch or dinner.
Growing up, I didn’t eat many sandwiches save for the occasional peanut butter and banana or fried bologna. Can you believe I never even had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich until I made one for myself as an older child or a BLT until well into my 20’s? As you can tell, my mom just wasn’t a huge fan of sandwiches, lol. On the other hand, the boyfriend is half German and actually spent the first several years of his childhood in Germany, so he’s used to eating all sorts of bread, meats and cheeses.
Luckily, I like trying a variety of new-to-me foods and with an education from the boyfriend, I love a wide variety of sandwiches today whether it’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Recently Good Cook sent me a sandwich kit (follow the link to read my review and enter to win a kit of your own) to help inspire me to make a sandwich. I decided to make a dinner sandwich so the boyfriend could be at home to enjoy them too, so I wanted something a bit more filling than the usual cold cuts.
Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich
I decided to make a chicken sandwich and turn it into a club since bacon makes almost anything better, right? I wanted to grill the chicken so I put it in a simple saltwater brine about an hour before grilling, then seasoned it before grilling and paired it with the usual veggies, goat cheese (I totally didn’t know until this past weekend that they actually make sliced goat cheese for sandwiches!), with guacamole (the boyfriend had to have mayo of course) on toasted sourdough. If you don’t have a real grill, you can always just cook your chicken in a skillet or use a grill pan, or like me, use an indoor grill/griddler. The resulting sandwich is so yummy and fresh (and refreshing) for summer, and oh-so filling!
- Chicken breast - 1 small-medium or half of a large per sandwich
- Brine indgredients - 1 Tablespoon sea salt dissolved in 4 cups water (optional)
- Seasonings for chicken - I used salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne
- Bread of choice (I used sourdough)
- Bacon - 2 strips per sandwich
- Cheese of choice - I used sliced goat cheese
- Spread of choice - I used guacamole, the BF used mayo, honey mustard, etc. would also be great
- Toppings of choice - I used red onion, green leaf lettuce, and tomato
- Pound chicken breast(s) to an even layer for even cooking.
- If desired, brine chicken for 30 minutes - 1 hour in 4 cups of water that you dissolve 1 Tablespoon of sea salt in. This will help the chicken stay moist after cooking.
- Preheat grill and (thoroughly rinse chicken if you brined it) thoroughly season chicken.
- Cook chicken until cooked through and juices run clear.
- In the mean time, start prepping your sandwich by toasting bread and getting your toppings together.
- I layered my sandwich as follows: guacamole on one side of both slices of bread, lettuce on one side topped with tomato. Onion, topped with bacon, then goat cheese and chicken on the other side.
- Place both halves on top of each other. This is a pretty bulky sandwich so I suggest slicing it in half.
- Serve and enjoy!